Submission Guidelines for the Pop-Up Dream Art Exhibition
DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES: Midnight March 1, 2019, PST
What is a “Pop-Up Art Exhibit”? Starting Friday afternoon, dream-inspired art pieces that we select will be displayed in the atrium of the Santa Cruz Museum of Art & History. They will remain on display through Saturday evening.
Videos will be presented on large screens at various times during the event.
Please carefully read these detailed instructions before filling out the online enrty form.
Eligibility: You do not need to be a member of IASD or MAH or a conference attendee to participate in the IASD Juried Dream Art Exhibition. We are accepting original art work about or inspired by dreams. The selection committee will be open-minded about the relationship of the art work to dream content when selecting the art pieces, as long as the work was inspired in some fashion by visionary or emotional experiences that occurred during sleep. Note: an entrant can create a piece inspired by someone else’s dream.
Media: All two-dimensional and multi-dimensional media will be considered, including painting, drawing, collage, sculpture, video, and installation art.
Criteria considered in reviewing entries for the exhibition will include:
- Professional quality.
- Relation to dreams or dreaming. If the art was not inspired directly from a dream of the artist or other person that occurred during sleep, you will need to include documentation to show how the art is directly related to such dreams.
- Completeness and quality of supporting documents. Incomplete documentation or vague, unclear statements may disqualify an entry.
- Quality of digital files. Out of focus, poorly composed or difficult to see images will be rejected.
- Art work that is deemed to be offensive, discriminatory, or in bad taste may be refused.
All work accepted for the show will be added to the Festival of Dreams online dream art galleries, unless you specifically request that we not do so.
HOW TO ENTER: All works must be submitted using the On-Line Entry Form. Prior to going to the entry form, we recommend that you study the preview form first.
General information required on entry form:
- Contact information
- A biographical sketch
- Artist statement – describe how each piece is dream-related; if the art was not inspired directly from a dream of the artist or other person that occurred during sleep, describe how it is directly related to such dreams.
- Special requirements noted if necessary
- Each artist may submit up to 3 art pieces.
Art Submission information:
- Size of work (height x width in inches). Max size 40” X 40”.
- Medium or media (if mixed) used for each piece.
- Files should be in JPEG format only.
- Image file names should include the artist’s name and an image number (e.g. “Smith1,” Smith1detail”, “Smith2,” etc.”).
- If possible, please include one to three representative images in JPEG format.
- Provide the link to where the entire video can be viewed by the selection committee (e.g., YouTube).
- Videos must be limited to a maximum of 10 minutes and be available in MP4 format.
- We will be showcasing accepted films on large screens throughout the Festival. You will need to provide your film in an MP4 format as needed prior to the Festival.
If your art is accepted, you will be required to register for the weekend conference. As an artist presenter, you may register at the discounted presenter’s rate. Note that the fee needs to be paid by credit card or USD check. Your registration permits you to attend all Festival of Dreams events of the weekend.
You must register as a presenter on the registration page by April 1 in order for your work to be shown. If you fail to register by the deadline, your space will be given to someone else.
Membership in IASD is not required. However, for membership information, check the IASD web site.
Notification of Committee’s Decision:
The selection committee will review all submitted works soon after the due date.
It is planned that all acceptance notifications will be sent by mid-March 2019. Once you have received your acceptance, go to the registration page and register as a presenter. You will then be entitled to attend all of the weekend events.
Delivery of Work and Liability:
All art accepted for the show must be hand-delivered to the Santa Cruz Museum of Art & History at 705 Front St, Santa Cruz, CA 95060, on Friday April 12th. The Museum is not able to accept shipments.
If your work is accepted for the show, you will receive detailed delivery and pickup instructions.
- All works accepted for the show must be suitably framed and/or ready for display.
- No substitution of selected work will be accepted.
- All art works will be handled by experienced personnel and the utmost care taken to guarantee the safety of the work. The exhibition spaces will be staffed during all open hours of the show. However, the museum will not be responsible for any loss or damage to the work during installation or during the exhibitions. INSURANCE IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF EACH ARTIST.
Questions? Please contact us here.
Deadline for entries is midnight, Friday, March 1, 2019, PST
Thank you for you interest in this Dream Art Exhibition. We look forward to sharing with you in this creative experience.